I never set out to collect Slayers, it's just something I fell in to. A steady diet of Gotrek & Felix novels and the fluff in old White Dwarfs has left me with a certain fondness for the little flame-haired psycopaths, and shortly after reading Zombieslayer I got the idea into my head to paint up a max size unit of Slayers (30, in the old army book). After buying a couple of bundles of miniatures, I started to investigate whether I could make a unit that size without duplicating any poses, which then somehow turned into trying to collect every Slayer variation...
The problem I'm finding, is trying to find a comprehensive listing of all the different sculpts! Stunties.com looked like it had what I wanted, except the pictures won't display on any device I try to view it on... Instead, here's what I've managed to cobble together from various sources, amended with the dorfs I already have:
(after a bout of ebaying on Saturday, the last two should be winging their way to me as we speak)
Somehow in my collecting, I have apparently entirely missed the 1993(?) Troll Slayers. Oh, how I miss the days of Mail Order and being able to order particular sculpts (like Daemon Slayer 3 here)
The new sculpts! I had originally thought that there had only been two new sculpts done (the two in rather 'square' poses), but when I bought some as part of a batch on eBay, I realised that the rest on this page that match the style of the previous generation of Slayers are in fact different sculpts! Unfortunately, this leaves still more for me to collect...
Only 3 sculpts released for Mordheim - the Dwarf Pit Fighter (pfft, he's blatantly a Slayer) is a bit of an odd sculpt, but for completionist's sake I need one! I also fancy getting a second copy of the Trollslayer Hired Sword, as he'd probably be a suitable donor body for a Snorri Nosebiter coversion...
£1.50? Honestly, if I had a time machine I'd mostly use it to nip back to Ye Olde Nottingham and buy miniatures. Admit it, you would too.
Here endeth the pictorial segment of this post - as far as I can see, this is the rest:
- blood bowl star player Grim Ironjaw (in the box, ready for action)
- 2 blood bowl slayers (alas, I've not got either yet)
- Ungrim & Garagrim - both acquired, ad having read Road of Skulls I'm further incentivised to paint them!
- Games Day Slayer on daemon head - owned, and ready for action as a unit filler
- Talisman plastic slayer - Do want! Veeeery portly, but rocks a certain design sensibility that reminds me of simpler times...
- Battle for Skull Pass plastic slayer - owned. A bit blah, but variety is the... well, you know the drill.
- Dwarf Lords of Legend Slayer - owned. A bit un-slayer-y (although admittedly, Ungrim the other Slayer lord wears armour...), but we'll see how he paints up...
And lo, this is all the slayers that I have thus far discovered, and which of them I still need. I'm not particularly familiar with the older dwarf ranges though, and am fairly certain that there are some likely Slayer candidates in the old 'Norse Dwarf' range - if anyone can provide any suggestions (or has any of the sculpts that I'm after) drop us a comment!
In other news, the blog recently passed 40k pageviews:
and here's me without a 40k related post... #missedopportunity :(